Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fwd: New Essay: Koodankulam: A Nuclear Plant in My Backyard, by Amirtharaj Stephen





Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Galli Magazine






Koodankulam: A Nuclear Plant in My Backyard | Amirtharaj Stephen

Koodankulam: A Nuclear Plant in My Backyard, by Amirtharaj Stephen

I come from a village called Kavalkinaru in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu, not very far from Kanniyakumari. My father was employed at a Heavy Water Plant in Tuticorin and I spent the first 24 years of my life in the Atomic Energy Township there. I was always told by the people in my township that nuclear energy was safe and that it was the future. I believed them.

In 2001, construction of the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) had begun at a distance of about 18km from my village. In 2009, I was living in Bangalore and working as a magazine photographer, when I heard about a leakage at the Kaiga nuclear plant that exposed 50 workers to radiation. Later when I went to Cambodia for a photography workshop, I found my fellow participants discussing the issues of nuclear safety and weighing the pros and cons of nuclear energy.

Many in the region did not care much about the power plant or the effect it would have them until 2011. The tsunami that shook Japan in March that year and the subsequent Fukushima disaster however caused panic in the region. The villagers, already severely affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004, began raising a lot of questions on the safety of nuclear power.  KNPP was nearing its completion just about that time and the people living in the vicinity of the plant started fearing a similar catastrophe in their region.

continue reading →

Follow on Twitter   Friend on Facebook   Forward to Friend 






No comments:

Post a Comment